Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Loaded Potato Soup {Slow Cooker}

So I had to make some soup for a mutual activity....As I looked around my house I saw....NOTHING. So then I went to pinterest :) Realized I had some potatoes so i would make this soup!

http://www.thecountrycook.net/2011/09/loaded-potato-soup-slow-cooker.html

Ingredients:
4 lbs. potatoes (red skin, russet or yukon gold),peeled and cubed
1/2 c. onion, chopped
2 14 oz. cans chicken broth
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups half and half
Garnish: shredded cheddar cheese, cooked and crumbled bacon, sliced green onions
The recipe did not call for garlic, but I added in 2 cloves of minced garlic for added flavor and because I had it on hand already.

Directions:
Layer sliced (or cubed) potatoes in a lightly greased (I sprayed mine with nonstick spray) 5-quart slow cooker
Top with chopped onion (and garlic, if using).
Add chicken broth, salt and pepper. Broth will not completely cover potatoes.
Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
Mash mixture with a potato masher. (I didn't mash it completely because I still wanted some visible potato chunks in there).
Stir in half and half. Cover and cook on high setting 20 more minutes, or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Ladle into bowls and garnish with favorite toppings. Serves 8.



I am coming to realize...I don't always follow the recipe :) I did follow her on putting the garlic in....if you know me...you'll know i LOVE garlic! When it was almost ready to take i thought it needed some color so i added the peas. It was good, but VERY bland. I really wanted to add some tony's to it, but seeing how it was for a seniors dinner...i didn't. Next time i make it though...there will be plenty of tony's :)

No comments:

Post a Comment