Monday, August 12, 2013

Cheesy Beans and Rice

This one I sorta followed the recipe, except when I didn't. :) Mostly because I sure did not want to go to the store!

http://www.thetallgirlcooks.com/2010/04/cheesy-beans-and-rice.html

CHEESY BEANS AND RICE
adapted from Allrecipes.com

2 cups cooked rice
1 (16 oz) can beans (kidney, black, or pinto), rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until tender. Add tomatoes, water, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine rice and beans. Stir in tomato mixture. Spread half into 2 qt. casserole dish; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Repeat.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


Well I didn't have an onion, or a can of diced tomatoes, or ground cumin. So I pulled some tomatoes out of the garden, along with a green bell pepper and blended them up. I didn't do exact measurements....on anything! But it was pretty good I think is was pretty bland though. Next time I will do more spice!

No comments:

Post a Comment